From: Chong Yu Meng [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2003 11:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Laptop suggestions

I'm using a Thinkpad R40. Got it for SGD$1,600, which equates to
slightly less than USD$1,000. Brand new. A few caveats though :

1. No PS/2 port, so you need to get a USB mouse
2. 802.11b is an option you may need to purchase separately
3. Celeron processor (1.8GHz) -- but works with XP surprisingly well
(fast! Even on 128MB RAM)
4. External floppy drive
5. It gets really hot ! So don't work with it on your lap.

If you are planning to install Linux, you'll need the following information:
1. Sub-pixel positioning in Linux. The default fonts and anti-aliasing
do *not* look good on the LCD screen. To me, it looked like seeing the
text through the bottom of a beer glass (flecks of red and blue on the
edges). Or you can reduce the font size to 9 pt or below.
2. Upgrade your RAM to 512 MB. The default 128MB RAM is barely enough if
you plan on installing RH9  and KDE. The swapping to hard disk is
irritating because of the slow hard disk inside.

I'm running very happily on RH9 + XFCE4 with 2 Apache web server
instances, Firebird database and Eclipse IDE on this notebook ! This
model actually won several awards for price/performance, and I think
this notebook is really cheap for IBM Thinkpad quality (I'm particularly
addicted to the keyboard, which is the most comfortable I have ever
used, and not as fragile as Dell's notebooks).

Hope this helps !

Regards,
pascal chong