Chong Yu Meng wrote:

Robert E. Raymond wrote:

Terence McCarthy wrote:

Rehat is too buggy.

I'm using Red Hat 9.0 on my laptop. I have to admit that if you're installing Red Hat, it can be a real pain ! The reasons are :

1. Mozilla -- If you want the latest, you will have problems with Flash (the one from Macromedia did not work when I tried it some months back. May be fixed by now though) and Java (Using Sun, Blackdown or IBM? Remember that for the Plug-In to work, you need the glibc 3.x compiled version-- that rules out IBM, and you may need to add LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 as an environment variable)

Yup, I see this. I didn't have any problem getting the 1.4 RPM from rawhide working on either the laptop or the destkop, but he still doesn't have java on his desktop ;)

2. KDE 3.x -- better have 512 MB RAM or more installed. Red Hat can be a slug if you use this. I use XFCE4 instead (but that adds a whole different set of problems)

I'm all for using XFCE myself on a slower machine, but he's used to KDE so I'm forced to give him that. GNOME would be ok, but he uses KPPP (I can't change too much or he'll be phoning me daily- how do i do this, how do I do that). His desktop is very fast with KDE and Redhat because I insisted he get 512 MB of RAM. He's being cheap right now, not to mention he lacks time to get more for the laptop.

3. Fonts -- yeah, it looks really crappy when you first install Red Hat. Better get the Subpixel font positioning thing working, or reduce the size till Anti-Alising doesn't kick in, but it fonts don't look jaggy or blurry.

Believe it or not, the fonts looked great! Maybe it's the 1400x1050 res. tho...

All that being said, what I'm going to say may surprise you -- I'm actually beginning to like Red Hat. A lot ! You'll need to do a lot of tinkering (but that has been my experience for most Linux distros I've used, except for OpenLinux), and you should factor in at least 1 week to get it installed and tuned just so. But once you work out the kinks --and assuming that you've documented everything -- you can do your next install in under 30 minutes (Minimal install) and all the tuning and stuff can be finished in about 3 to 4 hours (download, install and use apt-get for Red Hat!). Unlike Windows 2000 Professional, which took me an entire DAY AND A HALF to finish installing because of all the patches and crap. The scary thing is, the more you patch, the slower it gets. Sure it's stable, but it's like watching your Pentium 4 PC degenerate to a 486 before your eyes as you put in patch after patch after patch.My laptop is running Red Hat, and even after upgrading the kernel, putting 2 instances of Apache, one database, one app server and one IDE, it still works pretty fast. And it's a Celeron.

Yah.. XP is pretty darn slow on both his machines... fast on mine.. but then I'm better at keeping it running smoothly and not installing everything in sight when I get a new piece of low quality hardware because it's cheap (oh yeah, don't do that either, no wonder I don't have all sorts of bugs cropping up).

But you'll still need the 1 week "familiarization" with Red Hat for the initial install.

Well.. I'm having my father download Slackware on Monday when he gets back to his high speed connection at work... Debian I'd do, but I can't figure out which CDs I truly need and there are 9! to choose from.

Thanks!

Bob Raymond

Regards,
pascal chong