I belive it was "Robert E. Raymond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> who wrote:
<snippage>
> Slackware looks like my best option right now... as I've got the
> Slackware LiveCD loaded on there right now, and it's really fast and
> really nice looking (it's actually faster than Redhat was running off
> the disk).
>
> Any reason why I shouldn't use slackware or I should use one of the
> others I've listed (or ones I've forgotten to list?)  Ease of use
> after installation, lack of show-stopping bugs (i.e. no workarounds
> just to get on the web to get mail- we had that with Redhat on the
> laptop), and fast setup are of main importance (oh yeah.. free as
> well).

It sounds like you've made your choice already. Add SWARET to keep it
(Slackware) updated and you're all set. Although, if he really is
"computer illiterate" you'd best make sure *everything* is set up before
turning him loose with it, otherwise you'll run the risk of turning him
off of Linux. Slackware can be hard on newbies, or so I'm told (it was
my first distro and I still use it <shrug>).

Or, as someone else suggested, leave Windows on it ;o)

--
Myles Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Slackware-9.1 + XFce 4.0.0 + Sylpheed-0.9.6claws