Collins Richey wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. If you get the paid-up version, does libranet provide updates from time to time to keep you up to date, or do you have to monitor the debian sites to find out what's going on?

They do provide some packages, but mostly the available updates are debian packages. They did update a bunch for version 2.8.1, and it was a free upgrade from 2.8. Pretty up to date packages.

The primary reason I stick with gentoo is the ease of updating. A few times a week, I run 'emerge sync' (update the list of available packages) and 'emerge -pu world' (list the new stable updates that are available based on what I have installed). Is that type of operation easy on libranet/debian?

This is comparable to 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade' which grabs all new packages from whichever branch you are aimed at. Libranet uses testing (sarge), plus their own repository.

--
Ken