Bob Raymond wrote:
Leon A. Goldstein wrote:

> Bob Raymond wrote inter alia:
>
>>Debian... I'm also willing to try it... but I just have a bad taste in
>>my mouth after the last time I tried it (though that was several years
>>ago- I just hated having to wait for up to date versions to make it into
>>stable, which I'm definitely going to be using on someone else's machine).
>>

> You can  download a free copy of Libranet 2.7 and try it.
> No telling  if it will run your sound though.  Libranet 2.8/2.8.1
> added ALSA.

Well... Intel I810 sound works with OSS.. but one of my big gripes with
Redhat was that it didn't have ALSA, so sound kept cutting out all the
time at first.  I don't particularly like admin'ing his machine when I
have a million of my own things to be doing, so since Slackware and
Debian seem to have ALSA for free, plus from what I've read (and seen in
the case of Debian with that ancient Potato) they seem to be really
stable, I'll give them a try first.

Thanks tho

Bob Raymond

Libranet 2.7 set up sound during installation on my P4 box, also with i810 sound.
You can always gor the Knoppix route too.

--
Leon A. Goldstein