On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:35:58 -0400 "Leon A. Goldstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Bob Raymond wrote:

> > > You can  download a free copy of Libranet 2.7 and try it.
> > > No telling  if it will run your sound though.  Libranet 2.8/2.8.1
> > > added ALSA.
> > >
> > Well... Intel I810 sound works with OSS.. but one of my big gripes with
> > Redhat was that it didn't have ALSA, so sound kept cutting out all the
> > time at first.  I don't particularly like admin'ing his machine when I
> > have a million of my own things to be doing, so since Slackware and
> > Debian seem to have ALSA for free, plus from what I've read (and seen in
> > the case of Debian with that ancient Potato) they seem to be really
> > stable, I'll give them a try first.
> >
> > Thanks tho
> >
> > Bob Raymond
> >

> Libranet 2.7 set up sound during installation on my P4 box, also with
> i810 sound.
> You can always gor the Knoppix route too.

Having once tried true debian myself (what a POS), I have to agree with Leon.
If you want debian, get libranet.  The other possibility is to install from
KNOPPIX and then upgrade.  I did this once, and it was ok.

But then, as you already said, Slack will do nicely

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the