Collins Richey wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly, fedora is using the same philosophy that RH
used in the past. RH releases (at least until very recently) have always needed
more time in the oven.

In the past that was true of RH in my experience, but since about 7.1 their releases have all been very stable. RH9 is terrific. Course, Fedora isn't RH - that's the official line anyway.

This is one reason I prefer the gentoo model - incremental releases (that
usually aren't too painful) over a long period. Unlike the RH approach, gentoo
doesn't mark a new compiler release as stable for common use until most all
packages work with the new compiler.

Yes; there are some definite advantages. Disadvantages too. In theory Fedora is somewhat more geared toward an incremental model (faster releases with incremental updates along the way).

I suppose we will just have to wait and see what becomes of our favorite distro. Do any of those "alternative" dictionaries say that patience is a four-letter word? :-)

Michael