On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 20:19, Collins Richey wrote:

> And the one missing element in RH-centric distros is a common repository of RPMs
> for anything outside the core products.  I've gotten spoiled by the gentoo
> repository.  Given the size of their CD set, I would presume that SuSE is much
> better than RH in this respect.

And SuSE have improved. I first tried 7.2. Damn but there were alot of
packages. However, quite a few did not run. Many simply dumped core. Or
the silent Linux equivalent. I tried again with 8.2, and there are still
a ton of applications. But most now seem to work (same hardware). I have
just started with SuSE 9, and it also seems solid. The only bad thing I
have experienced is that updating from 8.2 to 9 does not work. There is
an rpm (filesystem or some such thing) which rpm's cpio claimed was
trying to install /usr/lib/X11 as a file, when it is already a
directory. Hosed the system. I tried the recovery mode, which looked
promising. Ended up doing a clean install. That is what I would normally
do in a production system anyway. That aside, so far so good. Tomorrow
we start our product testing on it. Hope the network holds up...

--
Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>