On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:08:09 -0400 Bruce Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 July 2001 10:37, Lee wrote:
> > Mike:
> >
> > Not taken as a flame, but this is the first dual boot I am building that is
> > all Linux Mandrake 7.0/ SuSe 7.1. In the past all dual boots have been
> > Win/Linux and there has been no problem installing BT from Win. Hate to
> > admit it, but don't quite know how to set LILO up for the Linux dual boot.
> > Mandrake is already installed. I guess I'll have to setup doing the SuSe
> > install. But, haven't quite figured it out yet.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> Shouldn't be a problem....   You're running lilo now?   and how many systems
> are on your machine now?   It would be easy to change your /etc/lilo.conf to
> boot the other systems.

Here's what to do.  I have severable bootable systems on my hard drive, and I keep one
of them (Gentoo_rc4) at present as a reference platform which I boot when I want to
update Lilo.  I know its's easeier with grub, but old habits die hard.

1. boot your reference platform
2. login as root or su
3. backup then update /etc/lilo.conf (refer to by mount points)
4. mount all your partitions referenced by lilo
5. /sbin/lilo
6. umount all your partitions (except for your running system).
7. reboot to whatever.

My examples use hdc & d; yours will most likely be hda & b

my lilo.conf
-----------------

boot=/dev/hdc
map=/mnt/hdc10/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
default=win98
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/boot/bzImage
        label=Gentoo
        root=/dev/hdc7
        read-only
image=/mnt/hdd1/boot/boot/bzImage
        label=GentooR6
        root=/dev/hdd1
        read-only
image=/mnt/hdd8/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5-1
        label=VecLinux
        root=/dev/hdd8
        read-only
image=/mnt/hdd8/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5
        label=VecSafe
        root=/dev/hdd8
        read-only
image=/mnt/hdd10/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5-1
        label=VecLinRS
        root=/dev/hdd10
        read-only
image=/mnt/hdc10/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.4
        label=COL31r
        root=/dev/hdc10
        read-only
other=/dev/hdc1
        label=win98
        table=/dev/hdc
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe

my mountem script
---------------------------

#!/bin/bash
mount /dev/hdc6 -o notail /boot
mount /dev/hdd8 /mnt/hdd8
mount /dev/hdd10 /mnt/hdd10
mount /dev/hdd9 -o notail /mnt/hdd10/boot
mount /dev/hdc10 /mnt/hdc10
mount /dev/hdc9 -o notail /mnt/hdc10/boot
mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1
mount /dev/hdd6 -o notail /mnt/hdd1/boot

my umountem script
-----------------------------

umount /boot
umount /mnt/hdd8