--- Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Net Llama offered this little gem:
> % I've suddenly run into a very odd problem trying to rebuild SRPMs.
> In
> % the past I was always able to download foo.src.rpm and run the
> following
> % as root without any problems:
> % rpm --rebuild foo.src.rpm
>
> [slash/burn]
>
> % File /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ppp-%{Version}.tar.gz: No such file or
> % directory
> %
> % That last line is the problem.  It dies at that point.  I tried a
> % different SRPM and it died with a similar error.  The directory
> % structure /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ exists.  Any ideas?
>
> It certainly is. You're not using Caldera's version of RPM, but
> someone else's, arguably Red Hat's. Somewhere under /usr/lib/rpm
> you'll find a file named *macros* - look at it's defintion of
> "%(Version}" and I think you'll figure out how to fix the problem.

Thanks Kurt, that clears things up alot.  I used Pam's SxS to upgrade
RPM to v.3.0.6, so (not that its her fault) she is the one who is
recommending using RedHat's version.  I'd guess because no one else had
come up with a version until just recently.

Turns out that i have /var/lib/rpm (the original) and
/var/lib/rpm-3.0.3.  "%(Version}" is not defined at all in
/var/lib/rpm/macros.  Is that the problem?  Would doing a forced
'upgrade' to Caldera's rpm-3.0.6 fix this, or break rpm functionality in
other ways?  Or could i just grab the macros file from Caldera's
rpm-3.0.6 and use it to replace the existing one?  I don't use RPMs much
anymore, but when i do, i'd like to know that they work.  :)

=====