On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 08:53:04PM -0500, Jim Conner wrote:
>I was refering to Code Red being a bandwidth hog as it's infecting IIS and
>probing other boxes.  Then again, I could be wrong.

That's certainly one problem with it.  The other major thing it was doing
last week is attacking some Cisco routers which have their web server
turned on to the world.  We have a customer who's on a DSL connection with
a Cisco box connecting to the DSL which bounced several times before their
DSL provider figured out what was going on, and had him disable the server.
Our upstream provider had a significant outage on the same day which they
said was due to routing problems which could be related.  Personally I
think Cisco is to routers what Microsoft is to desktops.

We configure routers so that all access to their admin servers is filtered
to prevent access except from specific sites.  We're now using Linux boxes
with WAN cards in new installations, and these are only accessible with
secure shell.

Bill

Democracy, n.:
        A government of the masses.  Authority derived through mass
meeting or any other form of direct expression.  Results in mobocracy.
Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights.
Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate,
whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion,
prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
                -- U. S. Army Training Manual No. 2000-25 (1928-1932),
                   since withdrawn.