On Friday 03 August 2001 21:26, Linuxism Chang wrote:
> Is it much more difficult to write a linux virus?
> whatever is happening to OE could just happen to any
> "baby-friendly" email reader.

It's not difficult at all, If I had a mind to, I could, and so could 90% of
other penguins. All you need is to write bash-script.  Securities and
permissions don't come into it. A virus of the email kind is not intended to
hack at root, it is intended to spread itself (the fundamental definition of
a virus). So hacking at $HOME would suit me just fine thanks. I'm not out to
kill your system , i'm out to infect it, and any other 'system' i can get at.

I could attach any binary I chose, you save it to disk and click on it when
it suits you. In some ways worse that Windows, I don't even have to call it
(dot)exe

The *only* reason why we are not infested with this stuff is because *if* I
want my name in lights, I'm going to go for the biggest, most poplular OS
around. I'm not going to spend all my 'creative' talent on a hardly-heard-of
'Linux'

Moral of the story? Don't be too smug folks. There but by the grace of god
etc.....