I've noticed that if you use -t vfat with vfat, fat and msdos loaded, it will
choose which one it needs.  At least I think so.  The problem with loop could
be the order that it is being loaded in relation to other modules.  If you
have /usr/bin/play from sox, try play foo.wav and see if you get sound as
root.  If not, something is wrong with the sound modules you are loading for
the sound card.

Jim

--

 11:42pm  up 16 days, 16 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00