On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Mike Andrew wrote:

> I was wondering your 'technique' for discovering what /device it's on this
> week or whether you tail /var/log/messages. The dynamic and arbitrary drive
> assignment of Linux-scsi has been a bad design decision. Sum1 didn't think
> this through very well at all, and to get over it they have implemented all
> sorts of even worse design decisions in forcing fixed addresses at kernel
> boot time.

Yeah the 'technique' is pretty shakey.  dmesg and /var/log/messages does
not mention the device assignment.  Your only clue, apparently is here:

[root@powerbook-cooker root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SanDisk  Model: ImageMate II     Rev: 1.30
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

And if you happen to know your scsi chain, you can extrapolate the device
id from this.  Another person's idea of using "cdrecord -scanbus" would
work too. Of course if you have mixed device types on the bus (tape,
scanner, disk), each type starts a new numbering sequence:

disk at 1,1  sda
tape at 1,2  st0
disk at 1,3  sdb   ....

Stew Benedict