On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:17:04AM -0400, Lee wrote:
> Lo Viksten wrote:
>
> > torsdagen den 13 september 2001 13.09 wrote Joel Hammer:
> >
> > > If Sweden didn't want to fight the Nazis, why should we?
> >
> > Sweden was surounded by the Nazis. Norway, Denmark, Poland, the Baltic states
> > and Soviets Baltic coast occupied by them and Finland allied to them. We
> > wouldn't had a chance. (BTW I wasn't born) Even so most Swedes were strongly
> > opposed to letting the German army use our railways, even if it would have
> > meant hostilities from the Nazis.
Groan. When the Germans invaded Norway, the Swedes did nothing to help and I
think even hindered the English, who tried to help.
The invasion of Norway was carried out to insure the continued supply of
iron ore from Sweden, without which Germany could not continue the war.
I admire people who watch out for themselves, like the Swedes and the Swiss
and the Turks, but it irritates when they try pulling the moral high ground, too.
Joel