Hi Shane,

Yes, you can use software compiled for Debian 'Potato' 2.2r3. In fact,
with the correct lines in /etc/apt/sources.list you can continue
upgrading and updating to your hearts content. The apt utility is quite
handy ( see man apt ). You'll need to comment out or remove any/all
lines in your sources.list that point to stormix's ftp site... but if
you go to their web site (it was still working last time I looked) and
look for the 'Mirrors' page you find, I believe, at least one that still
works - also ftp.sourceforge.net contains a storm directory under the
mirrors directory. Use that before you go after the 'pure' debian stuff
and you'll be able to keep using the graphical config. and package
manager supplied by stormix. I have a remote box still running Storm but
it looks as though the owner has it shut down (probably to save on the
power bill) right now so I can't grab a copy of the custom  sources.list
for you. You might want to check out the archives of the debian users
mailing list as there were many many posts within the last year
detailing how to keep storm up to date.

HTH

Myles

"Shane Broomhall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have serveral boxed copies of Linux at home. I am planning on
> spending
> some time with all of them.  I have heard that Debian is one of the
> most
> stable Dists.  I have purchased 4-6 months ago a boxed set of storm,
> it is
> based on Debian.  I have heard Storm have ceased trading.  As Storm is
> based
> on Debian, does that mean that I can use it and get the Debian files
> to add
> to what I already have in the way of utilities I need ???
>
> For Example, can I use a normal Debina Kernal to upgrade my setup if I
> choose to run storm ??
>
> I have found a site that has Win Modem drivers for Linux, but mainly
> Debian,
> Could I use these with Storm ??
>
> Thanks in advance, I appreciate any assistance anyone might offer.
>

> Shane Broomhall
>
> Brisbane Australia
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]