On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 09:13:29PM -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
>Well, internet access was down all day at work. Couldn't look up anything
>regarding medical literature for our specimen sign outs. Really a problem.
>My network server went down so no email, internal or external. Of course, I
>just telnet home and use my linux box for email, anyway. They stopped
>blocking port 23 after the first day. We did get a
>message to leave our computers on so IS can fix them all over the weekend.
>One of our friends has the same problem at her work.

You allow telnet into your home box?  That's a great way to get
your system cracked.

>Here at my house on @HOME I have had 16885 hits by 729 unique ip's since this
>began. (This doesn't count the XXXX worm, which gave 377 hits over this same
>time.) No damage done, since I use apache and we don't browse with IE.
>Over on the samba list, some people have had trouble with their samba
>servers, since the windows clients sent the worm to all mounted shares. If
>anyone has trouble of that sort, they might look at samba.org, I believe.

I thought @HOME had blocked all incoming port 80 traffic to their customers
(their contracts say they shouldn't be running servers).

Bill

``Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal
in slavery than unequal in freedom.''
            -Alexis de Tocqueville, 1805-1859