I don't know much about linux so perhaps you're better off waiting for a reply from
someone who does...

...but I was building a kernel the other day and browsing through the help topics for
the
various options when I noticed one that said, iirc, something to the effect that if
both the
scsi emulation drivers and the native atapi drivers were compiled into the kernel then
the
native drivers would be used.

I left the native atapi driver out and on boot the kernel (2.4.12-ac3, patched)
properly
recognized the burner as best as I could tell tho I don't yet know whether or not the
burner
will be fully useable.

from Susan Macchia:

" I am running RH 7.0 and have added a Yamaha 2100EZ CD
" writer (IDE).  I used the SxS for replacing a cdrom with " a cdburner as the
blueprint for
adding the writer.

[...]

--  "Protecting the Freedom of Speech necessarily means protecting the freedom of
offensive speech because no one ever tries to censor the other kind."