On Monday 19 November 2001 08:55, Douglas J Hunley enunciated:

> grub can be installed from source easily enough. no need to use lilo.
> however, SuSE uses a funky video mode in their kernel, and a patched
> version of lilo to get the pretty boot-up stuff. but you can live without
> all that. I do.

Thanks for the patch. I presume that re the video you are talking the boot
"Ubeaut" screens and not the normal video modes that are used after boot.

> > me about 5 hrs to get back in. What significance does initrd have in
> > suse, can it be ignored or is it 'needed'............... Are there any
> > caveats
>
> I don't use initrd for any of my kernels (custom compiled from source0.

Fine, looks like its a 7.3 problem then, maybe

> > BTW I am using 7.3 and there are differences with it and 7.2
>
> many, I've heard

I am getting disenchanted with suse, more and more, vmware cannot use sound
as dsp is busy, xine, mtv have no sound whilst vlc does have a very muted
sound on dvd and vcd playback.

--
Keith Antoine aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161