Thanks to all who made suggestions.  (BTW, i've been running rpm-3.0.6
all the while).

What I ended up needing to do was download the tarball for rpm-3.0.6
(the same version that i had installed via RPM), and building it from
source.  Apparently something within the old rpm binary wasn't too happy
about the new locale-data from the new glibc.  Compiling a new one
against the new glibc did the trick, almost.

I ended up having to remove the original rpm-3.0.6 RPM using the new rpm
binary (does that even make sense?)

I was then able to do everything with the new rpm except rebuild SRPMs,
where i kept getting an ugly "Unable to open temp file" error (as root).
I did some digging at groups.google.com and found that for whatever
reason, the {%var}/tmp variable wasn't being set properly.  I tried to
get it set correctly in the rpm macros file, but no dice.  I ended up
hardcoding it as /var/rpm and all was good.

So, everything appears to be back to normal (or as close to normal as it
ever will be in llama-land).  Now back to trying to build KDE-2.2.2 from
SRPMs.

=====