On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 05:23:42 -0800
Tony Alfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 December 2001 08:49 pm,Collins Richey wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Then I discovered gentoo,
>  <snip>
> > Ah bliss!
> > <end of almost a rant>
>
> Doesn't sound like a rant, sounds like it works.  Does this mean
> that there are others besides RH, Caldera, Mandrake, SuSE
> (like Doug's favorite Redmond Linux) that are beginning to assemble
> something that is upgradable in a straight-forward newbie-able
> manner?

Don't know about the newbie-able manner portion of that, but it's
certainly straight-forward.  Anyone who's lurked/contributed on this
group for a while could certainly handle it, but a classic newbie
straight from Windoze land might prefer a "does everything for you"
distro.  Redmond Linux is certainly easy, but I can't stand the
bastardized KDE.

The proof of the pudding will be when another phase-shift occurs with
glibc that breaks all existing software (I don't know why they can't
make them compatible).  The gentoo setup will require relatively
little tweaking to install a new system, but an upgrade with glibc in
the middle is a near impossible thing.

--
Collins Richey
Denver Area - 12DEC2001 - WWTLRD?