"Schmeits, Roger" wrote:

> Got a question...
> We have a student housing building that has about 40 students.  We have been
> wanting to wire the building but the cost has always stopped us ($40000).  I
> have been playing with the idea of using 5 or 6 Cisco aironet 350 access
> points and have the students purchase a PCI wireless card for their machine.
> For our Internet connection we are in the process of contacting Qwest for a
> business line.  At this time I do not know at the details for a Internet
> connection.  Mainly how many IP's we would get, cost, bandwidth, etc.
>
> Knowing all of that - How can a person setup a machine linux running to act
> as a NAT (???)/DHCP server when you have only been assigned anywhere from
> one to six IP's addresses?  How does one tackles such a situation?
>
> Or better yet which HOW-TO's to I read?
>
> Roger

Way, way too much overkill. You certainly don't need 6 access points,
especially at over a grand each for Cisco. Besides, an access point
opens your network up to anyone scanning for them. Alternative: Buy 6
Maxtech Mini-AP's which are simply external clients for p.c.'s, give
them all a unique ESSID if you want precise control, patch each one into
your physical network and use a single linux box to masquerade them to
the internet using a single public ip address and an access list of
internal ip's that you assign. If it's an ip address not allowed to be
masqueraded, then nobody can "steal services" from you. A good reason to
stay away from DHCP and use fixed addressing. 40 ip addresses should be
a no brainer to administer.
--
Andrew Mathews