>I don't know how much about wireless.  Certainly it's easier, but probably
more
>expensive and maybe less secure (at least you'd have to think about those
>things).

We are still thinking about how to lay things out yet wireless vs. LAN.
so far wireless is cheaper. for some oddball reason it is very expensive to
hardwire the building.  I have heard figures at forty grand???

>It shouldn't be terribly hard to wire the building yourself, depending on
how
>it's built.  I'd be happy to offer advice about that.  I would think it
would
>only take a week or less, and less than $4000 in equipment.

I have never anything so I am out of my league on that one..

>If you do get DSL, the Cisco 678 you'll get will do NAT, DHCP, and packet
>filtering (a little) for you.
I will look at that !! Thanks.

>You may still have use for a Linux
>router/firewall box, but you probably don't need static IP addresses.  The
one
>dynamic one that comes with basic service will probably do.  If you want to
run
>servers, that's a different story, but just to get students on the net you
don't
>need your own block of IPs.

I am just itching' to bring Linux in here ..we are all Microsoft.

>I don't see any reason to run your own servers.  There are plenty of free
email
>services where students can get accounts (maybe even from the school).  If
you
>let the DSL modem do DHCP, you won't have to worry about DNS and such too
much.

Thats all takin care. Running Imail on a NT box.

>Admittedly I've never done this on this scale, so there may be problems I
don't
>forsee.  But I have done some shoestring installs like this before.

I think I am going to find out!

Thanks Dave for the input!

Roger