Scribbling feverishly on January 18, dep managed to emit:
> On Friday 18 January 2002 05:32, Kurt Wall wrote:
>
> | > Can I change them using fstab settings?
> |
> | No.
>
> well, um, yes and no. going back to ext2 requires editing /etc/fstab,
> does it not? and on some systems (i'm thinking suse 7.3 here), in

Yes, you have to edit /etc/fstab, too. But, changing the FS from ext3
to ext2 is not accomplished simply by editing /etc/fstab, which is
how I understood the question.

> addition to getting the repaired mk_inittab script from suse, one
> needs to set up fstab such that / is ext3, but additional partitions
> may be set to "auto." (in suse, for reasons not yet translated from
> the german, setting / to "auto" boots it as ext2, while on subsequent
> partitions if the setting is ext3, they're usually not mounted at
> all, though you can do it by hand after the machine is booted. and if
> that makes it seem that suse 7.3 is a fundamentally good distribution
> cloaked in a cloud of configurational fog -- well, i have no argument
> to the contrary.)

I'll leave it to others to fight this partiular religious war. I have
no opinion on SuSE.

[...]

Kurt
--
You need more time; and you probably always will.