Ok, that's clear, but what about root partitions. Can they be converted
from another distro? Or is that necessary? If I log in to redhat on hda6
and convert a few from there, then log in to libranet or something on say
hda9 can I convert the redhat partition? Or am I just making this too
difficult?

What about older kernels? Will they just mount these ext3 partitions as
ext2?

And how does this relate to ReiserFS?

(i'm off to rtfm. :^)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:59:12 -0500
Douglas J Hunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ken Moffat babbled on about:
> > I have several ext2 partitions, and several questions.
> > Can I make these ext2's into ext3's using tune2fs?
>
> using tune2fs is the only way to convert existing partitions.
> simply unmount the partition, 'tune2fs -j /dev/xxx'
> and then edit /etc/fstab to say ext3 instead of ext2. remount the
partition, > good to go

> > Can I go back and forth?
>
> yes, but why? a kernel that doesn't know about ext3 should mount it as
ext2. > the next time it gets mounted as ext3, the journal will get
"caught up">
> > Can I change them using fstab settings?
>
> no. it so happens you can make it look like this by using type 'auto'
but in > fact it is NOT changing the fs type. just mounting it incorrectly

> > Must I run fsck?
>
> nope. unless going from ext3 back to ext2. then it is *really*
reccommended. > and in fact, fsck should run automagically in this case

> > Is any of this dangerous?
>
> nope.
>
> > Is there a step for this?
>
> this is pretty close. I could write one, but there really isn't much
more to > it.
> why not keep notes while you play and then submit them?
>
> > Thanks...
>
> no sweat. if you go this route, contact me directly with issues. I've
done > the ext3 thing many times for a while now.
> --
> Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
> Admin: Linux StepByStep - http://linux.nf
>
> You're not paranoid.