Ken Moffat babbled on about:
> I have several ext2 partitions, and several questions.
> Can I make these ext2's into ext3's using tune2fs?

using tune2fs is the only way to convert existing partitions.
simply unmount the partition, 'tune2fs -j /dev/xxx'
and then edit /etc/fstab to say ext3 instead of ext2. remount the partition,
good to go

> Can I go back and forth?

yes, but why? a kernel that doesn't know about ext3 should mount it as ext2.
the next time it gets mounted as ext3, the journal will get "caught up"

> Can I change them using fstab settings?

no. it so happens you can make it look like this by using type 'auto' but in
fact it is NOT changing the fs type. just mounting it incorrectly

> Must I run fsck?

nope. unless going from ext3 back to ext2. then it is *really* reccommended.
and in fact, fsck should run automagically in this case

> Is any of this dangerous?

nope.

> Is there a step for this?

this is pretty close. I could write one, but there really isn't much more to
it.
why not keep notes while you play and then submit them?

> Thanks...

no sweat. if you go this route, contact me directly with issues. I've done
the ext3 thing many times for a while now.
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
Admin: Linux StepByStep - http://linux.nf

You're not paranoid.