I have ext2 on my $HOME partition and did a:

kantoine@linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/kantoine # tune2fs -j /dev/hda10
tune2fs 1.24a (02-Sep-2001)
Creating journal inode:
tune2fs: Permission denied
        while trying to create journal file

Whats this as I was in ROOT at the time not sued...........

I also had purchased Acronis, as mentioned in this list by someone as it
recognises Ext3 and partition magic doesn't. I had resized /usr an ext3
partition and added the extra to /home.

All other partitons that were labelled ext2 in /etc/fstab all reported that
they already had a journal file.

--
Keith Antoine aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161