On Saturday 19 January 2002 22:05, David A. Bandel wrote:
| On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:03:04 +1000
|
| Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed into the bitstream:
| > I have ext2 on my $HOME partition and did a:
| >
| > kantoine@linux:~> su
| > Password:
| > linux:/home/kantoine # tune2fs -j /dev/hda10
| > tune2fs 1.24a (02-Sep-2001)
| > Creating journal inode:
| > tune2fs: Permission denied
| >         while trying to create journal file
| >
| > Whats this as I was in ROOT at the time not sued...........
|
| You have a slight problem with the root partition.  You can't
| change it to ext3 while it's mounted (not even read-only), and you
| can't unmount it. You'll find you can't even change the kind of
| ext3 mount it is (ordered, journaling, writeback) once the kernel
| mounts it.  Don't even try, you run the risk of damaging your
| filesystem.  Easiest way is to boot to root on another (spare)
| partition, change the old /, then reboot to the original /.

actually, that's not the case. from andrew morton on the ext3 list a
few months ago:

dep wrote:

> tune2fs 1.24a (02-Sep-2001)
> Creating journal inode:
> tune2fs: Permission denied
>         while trying to create journal file

You need to run

        chattr -i /.journal

Ted, could we please change that error message?

to which theodore tso replied:

Sure... actually, I'm thinking about about fixing it so that it
automatically detects the lossage mode automatically, and after doing
tests to make *sure* that the kernel doesn't have the filesystem
mounted as ext3, to just drop the immutable flag automatically.  This
is especially since SuSE appears to have released a bogus 2.4 kernel,
so a lot of people are using it.

(In fact, because of the inherent problems with the 2.4.10 kernel, it
may be useful to have e2fsck issue a warning when checking a mounted
filesystem and uname reports a 2.4.10 kernel; the only problem with
this is that I can't necessarily distinguish between a
distribution-based kernel that has the -ac patches which fixed the
page/buffer cache problems in the 2.4.10 kernels, so I might give a
false positive.....  And besides most users that are using a SuSE
kernel, aren't necessarily going to be upgrading to the newer version
of e2fsprogs, so that isn't necesssarily going to help them.)

[end of quote]

the chattr -i /.journal command has invariably fixed the problem
here. and if, in ext2, you create the journal, you do not run the
risk of corruption. you just, then, change /etc/fstab and reboot, if
it's the root partition; you can umount and remount other partitions
without a reboot.

--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,