To copy a full file system to another disk try:

cd top_level_of_filesystem_to_copy
find . -print -depth -mount | cpio -ptmV top_level_of_destination_filesystem

'-print' causes the output to be a list of filenames (with path included)
'-depth' tells it to go as deep as your directory structure
'-mount' tells it *not* to cross mount points (only this one partition will
be used)

This will take a while, but it will copy *everything*.  Directories will be
created for you.  It would be best if the destination file system is empty.

CAUTION: I'm working from admittedly poor memory on the cpio flags.  I
*know* the "V" is correct (it prints one dot to the screen for each file
copied).  I'm pretty sure about the "p" and "t" options, but I was doing
this on a Solaris system when I did it regularly.  I'm not so certain about
the "m".  So, RTFM on cpio and you should be able to choose the correct
options.  If you can't figure it out, drop me a line at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(where I have it written down) and I'll send the specifics of the cpio
command.

When you have finished whatever you are doing to the original partition you
can reverse the process to put it all back.

Note: Please be sure to check ahead of time to make sure you have adequate
disk space for the transfers.  'du' should be able to tell you how much
space you will need to copy originally, and the same amount should go back.

   In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

   Tom  :-})