Hi,

At Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:14:22 +0100 (CET),
Bruno Haible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You mean, adding ISO-2022 escape sequence interpretation to all
> locales, from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-15, would be an advantage? Adding
> complexity and unreliability of stateful encodings to all locales?

Yes.  This is just Kterm does.  It has two modes of 'ISO-2022 and EUC-JP'
or 'ISO-2022 and Shift_JIS'.

> Oh no. It is not a feature if users can screw up their terminal by
> accidentally outputting an escape sequence. It is a bug.

I don't understand why you hate the statefulness, while terminals
have other statefulness (thus we sometimes need 'stty sane' or
'Do Full Reset') after crash of curses-based software.  I think
you are guessing how escape sequences are annoying by your imagination,
not by your daily usage of Kterm (or other ISO-2022-enabled terminals).

Though I use ISO-2022-JP (has escape sequences)-enabled terminal
(say, Rxvt with kanji enabled) everyday for real purpose, I don't
feel any inconvenience.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/