At Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:30:22 -0600,
David Starner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 07:14:09PM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Thus, either of them should be taken:
> > >  1. libc/kernel accepts only UTF-8 filenames.
> > >  2. libc/kernel knows the locale.
> >
> > None of this.  Neither the kernel nor libc will ever do anything about
> > the encoding of filenames etc.  There are these stupid Winblows
> > exceptions of course but not for real filesystems.
>
> Yes, because it's better to be in the state that Linux is in (inconsistent
> encoding of filenames) than to actually now what the name of a file is
> in any program, always, like Winblows.

Then how problems I noticed can be solved?

Denial of 1 (libc/kernel accepts only UTF-8 filenames) leads to:
 1'. libc/kernel accepts locale-encodings.

Denial of 2 (libc/kernel know the locale) leads to:
 2'. libc/kernel doesn't know the locale or the encoding of the filename.

Handling locale-encodings without knowing the locale leads to
problems which I noticed in the last mail, i.e., the 2nd byte
of multibyte character can hit '/' and libc/kernel mitakes it
as directory separater.

Or, you think locale-encodings should be used but multibyte
encodings cannot be used?  It is unfair.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"