Michael B. Allen writes:
> > > I gather that I can only assume that wchar_t is just a sequence of UCS
> > > codes of sizeof(wchar_t) in size.
> >
> > You cannot even assume that. wchar_t is locale dependent and
> > OS/compiler/vendor dependent. It should never be used for "binary file
> > formats and network messages".
>
> Well, I have to normalize to something!

wchar_t is a very wrong thing to normalize to, because it is OS and
locale dependent. UTF-8 is a much better normalization for strings,
both in-memory and on disk. UCS-4 is an alternative, good
normalization for strings in memory.

> You're freshmeat link:
>
> http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html
>
> is broken.

Thanks for the note. I'm currently setting up a replacement.

> Can I use the latest libiconv as a shared library ...

Yes you can.

> So where do people discuss libiconv problems.

With me, or on linux-utf8.

> iconv_open is giving me No such file or directory.

You should look at errno after iconv_open only if iconv_open returned
(iconv_t)(-1). The manual page doesn't say anything about errno in
the case of a successful return from iconv_open().

Bruno
-