On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Carl W. Brown wrote:

> I really don't mind UTF-16 but what burns me up are the 7 bit fans.  What I
> hate are code pages like iso-2022.  I looked into it an there is no
> reasonable way to do any kind of string manipulation on code pages like
> them.  My code checks for stateful code pages and just retunes an error if
> you try any string manipulation function.

  Could I suggest that you do as Romans do in Rome :-) ? This is
Linux-UTF8 mailing list. So, wouldn't it be better to use 'encoding'
in place of 'code page'? Especially, it sounds very strange to hear
stateful 7bit ISO-2022-based encodings being refered to as 'code pages'

  BTW, I'm on the same camp as you're in not liking 7bit stateful
encodings, but I'm pretty sure there will be some objections to what you
wrote about them because there are string manipulation routines written
for them in use.

  Jungshik Shin

-