I haven't meant for anything I've written to indicate that Emacs is not
a useful editor for UTF-8 encoded text.  I have found it quite usable.
I've had a couple of configuration headaches along to way specifically
because I am simultaneously maintaining files in both UTF-8 and Latin-3.

If the alphabets you use fall within the ranges of characters that Emacs
now handles, I can't see any strong argument not to use Emacs.  I
switched to the prereleases of Emacs 21 a few weeks ago specifically for
the Unicode support.  For me, there was really no option of choosing
anything else, even if I had wanted to.  I am doing some heavily
customized stuff supported by a pile of Emacs Lisp code tailored to my
data over the past 6 1/2 years.  Emacs Lisp has saved me hundred of
hours.

In the end, I would like to see Emacs use Unicode internally.

--
D. Dale Gulledge, Sr. Programmer,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]