> From: Florian Weimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:09:20 +0100
>
> Richard Stallman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Supporting Unicode superficially while retaining the current internal
> > representation raises a number of problems, one of them being that the
> > internal representation has several alternatives for the same character
> > which correspond to the same code point in Unicode.
>
> The GNU Emacs/Unicode proposal I've seen seems to have this property,
> too.  (At least the proposal is ambiguous, and one interpretation is
> that you can encode a single character in multiple ways.)

Unless you refer to the CNS plane and Japanese Han characters, which
were deliberately left ununified (in addition to the Unicode
codepoints for those characters), I think you are mistaken.  Could you
please point out where in the proposal do you see that a character can
be encoded in multiple ways?
-