"Eli Zaretskii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> The GNU Emacs/Unicode proposal I've seen seems to have this property,
>> too.  (At least the proposal is ambiguous, and one interpretation is
>> that you can encode a single character in multiple ways.)
>
> Unless you refer to the CNS plane and Japanese Han characters, which
> were deliberately left ununified (in addition to the Unicode
> codepoints for those characters), I think you are mistaken.

I hope so. ;-)

> Could you please point out where in the proposal do you see that a
> character can be encoded in multiple ways?

I think now that the surrogate stuff has been explained, the encoding
to to UCS-E (Unicode-compatible Character Set for Emacs) is indeed
unambiguous.

However, UTF-E (the buffer encoding) opens possibilities for different
encodings of the same UCS-E code point, but this can be resolved, I
think.