Glenn Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have dealt with international quotes for quite some time.  More
important than doing cosmetics now is it to unify strings with in
program message.  We need rules when to quote file names, option
switches, program names and how to do it.  At the moment these occur
(from memory):

    Please, check %s
    Please, check file %s
    Please, check file '%s'
    Please, check file `%s'
    Please, check file "%s"
    Please, check file "%s".

    Use --foo-switch and pipe through sed
    Use --foo-switch and pipe through "sed"
    Use `--foo-switch' and pipe through "sed"
    etc.

Consider to join the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailinglist and take actions to discuss
these topics.

> I tend to prefer having features default to enabled if they're usable
> by fully compliant clients--those with broken clients (even if they're
> currently the majority) can disable it.

It isn't nice to bug users with features; write good documentation,
don't force the user to do it your way.  You may change the defaults for
the next _major_ release and announce the change properly (e.g., via the
NEWS file).

How will come “ and ” out if the user's terminal doesn't support UTF-8?
Transliterated as `` ... ''?  That's worse than just "..."!  BTW, it's
arguable whether one really want to have open and close quotes for
computer related strings like file names or option.  IMO, those advanced
quotes should be reserved for citations (G. Nannini says: “È già
domani.”).

> It means people know about the feature; lots of useful stuff goes
> unused because it's not known.  (How many people would add -F to their
> "ls" alias if their distribution didn't do it for them?)

That one of the "features" that confuses users in the beginning :)

> This helps get stuff implemented, too: people see it, decide they like
> it, and push to get it implemented in their software.  (This is
> particularly true for things like this, where it's trivial to fall
> back on, in this case, regular ASCII quotes if real quotes aren't
> available.)

As explained above, it will do more harm than good (-> ``...'').  And
even if it were displayed correctly, chances are big that the font
doesn't look nice.  My default font displays " much better than ” -- the
latter is to small, too dense, too slanted, and someho boldish.
"Fliegendreck" -- like we would say in German.

Please, don't push nobody.

[This mail is also an Emacs 21.1/Gnus UTF-8 test.]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (work) / [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o