On Wed, 1 May 2002, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Markus Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >   c) Emacs - Current Emacs UTF-8 support is still a bit too provisional
> >      for my comfort. In particular, I don't like that the UTF-8 mode is not
> >      binary transparent. Work on turning Emcas completely into a UTF-8
> >      editor is under way, and I'd be very curious to hear about the
> >      current status and whether there is anything to test already.
> >      Anyone?
>
> AFAIK, there is some activity on the Emacs 22 branch.  XEmacs is in
> the process of switching to UCS for its internal character set, too.

I am not much of an Emacs guy but if I were I would probably
use QEmacs, which looks pretty decent to me:

   http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemacs/

As I don't use Emacs so I can not really tell the difference,
it might not have all the functionality that Emacs has. But
I have a feeling that the functionality you can expect from a
text editor is there.

I like that Qemacs has a much smaller memory and binary size
than “mainstream” Emacs.

Open Source is funny: you probably will never hear Microsoft
praising Java ☺

Gáspár・ガーシュパール・Гашьпар・갓팔・Γασπαρ
ᏱᎦᏊ ᎣᏌᏂᏳ ᎠᏓᏅᏙ ᎠᏓᏙᎵᎩ ᏂᎪᎯᎸᎢ ᎾᏍᏋ
ᎤᏠᏯᏍᏗ ᏂᎯ.