On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 18:31, Gaspar Sinai wrote:
>   The development time required is important. People usually write
>   just a few input methods for the scripts they know - if has a steep
>   learning curve they  might not even start. I did look at IIMF:
>    http://www.li18nux.org/subgroups/im/IIIMF/index.html
>   and tried to make it work - but it required too much time so
>   I gave up.

Have you revisited the above page recently?  In particular, a C library
(libiiimf) will be released shortly, which will greatly simplify the
development of IIIMP clients and servers, just like what Xlib did to the
X protocol.  (Well, Xlib is just bearable, but it's much better than
working on the raw protocol.)

> o A collection of input methods that can be transparently activated
>   and  could pass utf-8 input string from any of its input methods,
>   selectable programmatically, or even from an external GUI of the
>   input method collection. This way we could avoid restaring
>   naive programs with a new XMODIFIERS variable.

IIIM clients are meant to be able to switch to different IIIM language
engines at runtime.  It's implemented in Xlib-I18N, available as part of
the IIIMF source.  It's also implemented in Solaris 8 and 9.

Regards
Roger
--
  Roger So                 Debian Developer
  Sun Wah Linux Limited    i18n/L10n Project Leader