Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> If you want to work with sequences of code points, use UTF-32. If you want
> to represent text internally or represent it compactly, use UTF-8. There
> is no reason to use UTF-16 except for compatibility with those which
> already use it.

Apart from compatibility issues, the reason of UTF-16 might be a compromise
between size compactness and Asian user requirements, in my opinions.  It is
a good compromise for me.

Microsoft chose to store UTF-16 characters for VARCHAR in Access 2000 and
later versions.  I don't expect it will switch to UTF-32 in the foreseeable
future.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei