On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 07:32:24PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> Thanks very much, this clears up a lot. A few more questions:
>
> 1. Most GTK+ programs allow right-clicking in text boxes to change the
> input method, but Mozilla, unfortunately, does not. But it *is* affected
> by the GTK_IM_MODULE=xim environment variable, so it appears to be a
> GTK+ program all right. In fact, starting Mozilla (from the command
> line) with
>
> GTK_IM_MODULE=im-ja mozilla
>
> works, resulting in a Mozilla which accepts Japanese input -- without
> using kinput2!
>
> Now it would be extremely nice if this could also be done (somehow)
> dynamically, "on the fly". GTK+ programs seem to be able to do this, so
> (I think) Mozilla should be able to do it also. Is there a way to
> achieve this?

  Mozilla twists and turns GTK+ to its whims, so the result is very
different than usual GTK+ applications. AFAIK, there's no equivalent
method to switch input method; if it's important for you, you could
try filing a bug report in their bugzilla, asking for the Input
Methods submenu to be added to the input box context menu.

> 2. In programs which *do* allow right-clicking for input method
> selection, the "default" input method is (apparently) less useful than
> the "xim" input method, because of the less-than-perfect Compose
> implementation in "default". Is there a way to make xim the "default"?
> Anyway, what exactly is the "default" in the input methods menu? Where
> is it defined?

  It's already been stated that you can specify GTK_IM_MODULE=xim in
your environment, which makes all applications use that by default.
Isn't that good enough for you?

--
Vasilis Vasaitis
"A man is well or woe as he thinks himself so."