On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 09:55 -0700, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

> Long term, considering this is in AOSP and is part of eng/userdebug
> builds, it's likely to be automatically available in future versions
> of Android.

Yeah, but most vendors don't actually build/run/ship AOSP nor
necessarily an unmodified iw, so it's likely not all that helpful.

> We ended up having to tweak the Android.mk again in the AOSP tree,
> since the current one is doing an "include" of the external Makefile,
> which in turns overrides the default "clean" rule and leaks some
> pattern rules such as %.o, etc. which affect the rest of Android
> build. For more details, please take a look at this Gerrit:
> https://android-review.googlesource.com/166104
>
> I'm cc'ing Ying who spotted the problem and suggested the changes.

Thanks, but I'm not going to apply that patch in my tree - I don't want
to have to worry about the duplication of LOCAL_SRC_FILES.

> One problem with the current approach is that there's duplication of
> the names of the source files between Android.mk and Makefile, I was
> thinking perhaps we could introduce a common.mk or sources.mk that's
> included from both and only has the variables that can be used by
> both? Suggestions are welcome.

That seems reasonable.

> As mentioned in the initial thread, one option is to drop Android.mk
> from upstream altogether and maintain it in our AOSP downstream.

Given what I just said above about vendor builds etc. not being AOSP,
that probably wouldn't be all that helpful; I'm pretty sure it'd make
our life more difficult so I don't really like that idea much.

johannes