On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:07 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>On 14-06-24 11:06 AM, Mehaffey, John wrote:

>>> No special reason that I know of. I'm find with converting them to built-in.
>>> Basic/core functionality is fine to include at all times!
>>
>> Well, according to the poky ref manual:
>> * core-image-minimal: A small image just capable of allowing a device to
>> boot.
>
>That's userspace, not the kernel. We have poky tiny and other stripped down
>kernel options for those that need something really small.
>
>The standard kernel is fully functional, which is what we are building here.

Yes, I understand that, but modules are in userspace, and core-image-basic
includes the modules.
Building core-image-basic may be the easiest way to accomplish what Sven is
trying to do, rather
than trying to figure out what pieces you need built-in.

If you choose option a), you will need to choose which USB devices you will
support as built-in.  I presume
that you are not suggesting to make all of the USB subsystem built-in :)

-John Mehaffey