On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 06:46:51PM -0700, beneo wrote:
> Then my trouble starts, every time I get a Linux Kernel Panic
> during the boot. The message is like this.
> Mounting /proc filesystem
> Creating block devices
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or 03:02

As you wrote, everything works until the kernel is about to mount the
root filesystem, very good for a first attempt! :)

The exact error is that the initrd is unable to load the driver for
your IDE controller, errno=2 means File not found, and hence the
kernel can not find hda2.

> I used a command like this to make the elf image.
>
> mkelfImage --command-line="root=/dev/hda2 rw console=ttyS0,115200n8"  \
> --kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8smp --ramdisk=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8smp.img \
> --output=/root/elf/linuxImage
>
> I think my root parameter at the mkelfimag command is correct
> because I type mount command on the console when I have the AMI
> BIOS booting the linux from the HardDisk, it looks like this,
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# mount
> /dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>
> If anybody tell me what I did wrong, I would be really appreciated.

I suggest you try making an ELF image without an initrd and if
neccessary compile a kernel with drivers for your hardware compiled
in statically. This shouldn't be too difficult.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:23:40AM -0700, Nathanael Noblet wrote:
> I would suggest skipping the netboot portion and use FILO. It will
> load a kernel directly from the filesystem, if you are planning on
> using that as that root system, no point in pulling your kernel
> from the network, when it is already on the system.

Indeed, this is another option. But a new kernel is still neccessary
since the one in the ELF image (/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8smp.img) came
with neither ext3 nor IDE drivers.

//Peter