On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:16 AM, jtd <j...@mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> No. But you really suck. Noticed the distinct lack of a smiley. No?
> heck never mind.

Bah...and you think I care for your remarks? :)

>> Explain how exactly is SAMBA/CIFS better than a M$ share.
>
> Stability....

ooh...my gawd...stability... please backup your statements with proofs.

> place and found that M$XP (dont remember if it was sp2) share of a
> disk block on a M$2003 server was much slower than a simliar share on
> a linux box. It could well be because of crappy AV on the doze boxen,
> but you might as well burn the machine without AV.

agreed.

> Prima face linux would beat doze because linux has superior file /
> block handling and network infrastructure apart from the AV overhead
> (now dont get started on numbers etc unless u wanna pay me to do the
> study).

Linux supports various file systems. It wouldn't make sense to say
linux has a superior file / block handling since not all Linux file
systems are created equal :P

> Similiar informal tests with samba and nfs (both on linux boxes) found
> nfs to win. Again i had not tweaked samba in any way (and i havent
> botherd to check for tweaks either), but increased the nfs block size
> to 64k (or some such) for even better performance.

Yeah yeah Linux beats crap out of Windows. Whose saying otherwise?
Though compatibility is an issue infact heres a bit, you can use NFS
on Windows boxes with some Unix utilities for windows software. I
forget its name.

> GEDA, pcb, alliance, kicad.

Thank you. Thats knowledge shared really ... :)

--
Regards,
Dinesh A. Joshi