I thought about this, and reconsidered it again after I finally figured
out how to get the Power.org website to relenquish the ePAPR spec, which
(FWIW) has reg-shift as an optional property of the ns16550 binding.

However, I'm not enamoured of it, since I doubt it's really good to be
doing ioremaps and memory management on unaligned blocks. It seems more
logical to me to have the reg property define a range of aligned
addresses, and in this case, it happens that the driver never touches
some of those bytes.

Yes, and that is (part of) why "reg-offset" might be needed /
might be a good idea.

In any event, the real point of the patch was to spark some discussion,
which we failed to get otherwise.. :)

You succeeded :-)

Segher