On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 11:23 PM Hari Bathini <hbath...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/19 5:50 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > Hari Bathini <hbath...@linux.ibm.com> writes:
> >

> [...]
>
> >> +/*
> >> + * CPU state data is provided by f/w. Below are the definitions
> >> + * provided in HDAT spec. Refer to latest HDAT specification for
> >> + * any update to this format.
> >> + */
> >
> > How is this meant to work? If HDAT ever changes the format they will
> > break all existing kernels in the field.
> >
> >> +#define HDAT_FADUMP_CPU_DATA_VERSION                1
>
> Changes are not expected here. But this is just to cover for such scenario,
> if that ever happens.

The HDAT spec doesn't define the SPR numbers for NIA, MSR and the CR.
As far as I can tell the values you've assumed here are chip-specific,
non-architected SPR numbers that come from an array buried somewhere
in the SBE codebase. I don't believe you for a second when you say
that this will never change.

> Also, I think it is a bit far-fetched to error out if versions mismatch.
> Warning and proceeding sounds worthier because the changes are usually
> backward compatible, if and when there are any. Will update accordingly...

Literally the only reason I didn't drop the CPU DATA parts of the OPAL
MPIPL series was because I assumed the kernel would do the sensible
thing and reject or ignore the structure if it did not know how to
parse the data.

Oliver