Gary, this is for USNO Time Service. We are a high-end provider of NTP
service with over 20 years of satisfying customers!  All of my work
involves improvements to tick and tock and their classified cousins in DoD
land.

​>​
Could I please get the ethtool -T dump?  I'm trying to figure out

> what features do what...

​Sent via email to Gary.​

> > server 127.127.1.0 prefer
> > server 192.5.41.40 noselect
> > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 0
> > fudge 127.127.1.0 refid PTP
>
> ​>​
> Hmm, no secondary sources?  How do you know you do not have the large
> offset I see?

I don't know what large offset you are seeing.
But comparing at the internal NTP level we see no offset from the
comparison server tick.usno.navy.mil.
​

​​

​>​
> And who is sending SHM 0?  And how?
>

> ​Shared memory is not involved in this setup. Phc2sys takes care of
> steering the system clock, and NTP accepts it using server 127.127.1.0.

​I compared the logged phase offsets from ptp4l and phc2sys using log level
6 or 7. In order to do a physical phase measurement I need to program the
software definable pins on the i210 header to output 1PPS, which can then
be compared with a time interval counter to the USNO Master Clock 1PPS
reference.  I have yet to modify the igb driver to do that, stay tuned.
Rich Schmidt​