On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 08:25:39AM -0700, Richard Cochran wrote:

> I expect that the change in the IEEE standard and in the industry is
> coming.

So, yes, the IEEE 1588 committee has changed terminology before
("time-aware bridge" -> "time-aware relay") and may do so again, to
remove words that are out of fashion today. Then linuxptp could follow
suite, as it always has, supporting a new 1588 revision with a new set
of knobs.

What I don't get is where is the need for linuxptp to "take the lead" on
this topic?

> I will not enter a bike shedding debate about whether leader/follower
> sounds better or not.  I have picked source/sink because that makes
> most sense to me.

What if the terms on which IEEE 1588 settles are not the terms in your
mind ("source"/"sink")? Will there be a third set of names for clocks
and ports?

What about a sort of internationalization support in linuxptp, then
anybody could call "master" and "slave" whatever they feel like.

> However, it certainly won't hurt anybody to change the terms, and it
> is easy to do.

But if you need to mention during every email reply that you're not
really up for bikeshedding, this might in fact prove your free time is
hurt more than you intended to by finding replacement terms that please
everyone. That, in fact, is the whole problem. There's nothing
defendable about the word "slave", it's just what the IEEE 1588
standards committee used.

Thanks,
-Vladimir