On 8/20/2020 2:16 PM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:07:09AM -0700, Richard Cochran wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 06:45:37PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>>
>>> What if the terms on which IEEE 1588 settles are not the terms in your
>>> mind ("source"/"sink")?
>>
>> Because linuxptp is widely deployed, what we do could very well
>> influence the committee work.
>>

> Aren't there simpler ways to influence the 1588 working groups, like
> sending them a direct email? I don't think a significant number of them
> are subscribed to linuxptp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.
> Which begs the question, if you already had your mind set on a
> particular list of euphemisms, and you weren't actually looking for a
> second opinion from this group, why send this RFC patch at all? You can
> commit changes to linuxptp without peer review at any time.
>
> Also (and this might be not for me to understand), if you are:
>
>> doubtful whether changing the wording of the 1588 standard will
>> actually have a positive effect on the world or not
>
> then why pressure them in the first place to make this change?

The expectation is that the standards committee will change the terms
one way or another in the future.

If we assume that the terms master and slave will be removed, and do not
like many of the alternative proposals, it makes sense to try and
influence them to choose proposals we do find more suitable.

Doing nothing may increase the probability that the standards committee
chooses terms that Richard clearly dislikes: (leader/follower, etc).